Friday 8 May 2015

My visit to Strath Matters, in Strathalbyn, SA

On our trip to WA, I visited Strathalbyn in  SA  with  the sole intention of visiting the women from the Strath Matters rug hooking group. But I was also keen to see Marion's portrait rug of her husband George, which she had recently completed. I was not disappointed. It is a beautiful piece, as you can see in the photo. She did a wonderful job of hooking this rug with his face done in woolen strips and the background hooked in woolen yarn. A very effective combination and contrast. It was wonderful to spend a few hours with this lovely group of women and checking out some of the projects they were working on.
Some were working on toothbrush rugs, others on proddy and hooked rugs. The hooked rugs were mostly done with rug wool. The time soon went.
 
 
 In the evening we went out to dinner with some of the couples. It was a great evening and we hope to meet up again with some of them in Perth in June. On the Monday morning of our departure, I visited Judy once more as she had bags of woolen fabric to give me for the Victorian Rug hookers. This  wool was given to her by a retired rug hooker, who was wanting to off-load her large stash of wool. I had to stop myself from drooling all over this beautiful fabric. But I don't think that may have been appreciated. Thanks Judy this will will be well received.

                                            
                                         Don't you just love Marion's apron?

1 comment:

  1. one of the best portraits I have seen. Great teacher, great student. Thanks for the wool Strath Matters. Joy

    ReplyDelete